Chicken Gunya : Signs & Symptoms and Treatment
Chicken Gunya : Signs & Symptoms and Treatment :- A dengue like disease caused by a group a virus Chikungunya virus and transmitted by Aedes mosquito . It is manyifated by high fever and severe articular pain in the Limb and spinal column. The virus was first isolated from patient and mosquitoes during an epidemic in Tanzania in 1952 – 1953.
Chikungunya is a local word meaning doubling up owing to excruciating joint pain . The virus occurs widely in sub-saharan African India and in many areas in Asia.
During 2006 there was a large outbreak of Chikungunya in India with 1.39 million officially reported cases spread over 16 state attack rate was estimated at 45% in some areas. The outbreak was first noticed in Andhra Pradesh and it subsequently spread to Tamilnadu
There after Kerala and Karnataka were affected and then North words as far as Delhi. The other state involve were Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Pondicherry, Goa, Odisha, West Bengal Uttar Pradesh Andhra Pradesh and Nicobar Iceland during 2015 November 24,997 cases were reported by the government of India.
- Causative agent is an RNA :- virus
- Class :- Arbor virus (Arthropod Brone)
- Family:- Togaviridae
- Genus :- Alpha Virus
- Species :- Chikungunya virus
- It is usually 2 to 12 days (commonly 4 to 7 days).
- Maculopapular rash
There is no specific treatment of Chikungunya infection and it is usually self-limiting.
Analgesic antipyretic like Paracetamol, diclofenac sodium, chloroquine along with fluid supplementation are recommended to manage infection and relief fever joint pain and swelling.
- Vector control :- the aedes aegypti mosquito should be the main target of control activity . It required active community involvement to keep water storage containers free of mosquito and to eliminate the other breeding place of mosquitoes in and around house and dwelling.
- Vaccine:- no vaccine has yet been developed that it considered suitable for use
- Another technique consisting of aerosol spray of ultra low volume(ULV)